Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bird in a Bush


Bird in a Bush, Abstract Digital Painting, 1536 x 2304, October 2008

I think this piece would make a great piece to translate into real world art. I'm thinking thick sheets of white paper cut to the shapes then loosely painted would work well here. I've done other pieces similar that look like layers of board raised over each other. I was almost stuck for a title for this one... then I saw the bird hiding in the bushes.

The sky line was an obvious interpretation and the green field. This piece was based on a over blurred photo of a rusty door with a deteriating building number. Blurring it all out simplifies the color fields and then I simplified it more with a "cut out" filter. Then I choose a color palette and make selections and swap colors to get the fundamental colors.

From there I take it into Painter and brush it all in with a natural feeling brush, normally I use the artist brush called "sargent Brush" which I have also modified to give an empasto texture and a little more jitter. After it's all painted in with texture I add a surface texture of a subtle paper. I think after that I pushed the texture a bit more with image luminance, and a little softening to smooth out some sharp sparkles. As usual, this piece was not planned. There is another version that I like too. But in the end I liked this one more. Below is version 2.

No comments: